Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;

Friday, March 23, 2012

School Update

Even though I have been homeschooling for 5 years now, I am just starting to figure it out.  We can  attribute that to the fact that I had 4 kids in 6 years, I probably inhaled a lot of lead paint in our home renovations, I was sleep deprived for many years (see first reason), or more likely it is that I am a slow learner.
Anyway, last week we started the workbox system and somehow there are now more hours in our day.



The kids love it.  I think they like the fact that they know exactly what to do and they can feel like they are done when they turn their box around after finishing.  I am telling them what to do less, and they are less confused, which just makes everyone happier. 
I used cereal boxes and painted them.  A friend of mine printed and laminated the cards for me. 

I also started packing the kids lunches.  This has made our day easier as well.  No more wondering what is for lunch and the kids can eat it when they get to it on their charts.
 I also made up a snack box.  When it says snack on their chart, they can choose one thing.
This has been great.  No more, "I'm hungry!" all morning (even though they ate breakfast like an hour earlier)!

And the first day we did all these things, it went great. 
And then the next day came.
Not so pretty.
I am learning A LOT about grace these days.
Mostly, that I give very little to those around me, yet expect to get a lot back.
Hmm. . .
ACTS 11:23 I saw the grace of God and was glad.
Ponder on that a moment.
Glad! 
You could see grace that you made it through a VERY hard day.
You could see grace that you have a roof over your head, no matter how small.
You could see grace that you are so busy because your life if full of friends.
You could see grace that your children are mimicking what you do, making you see yourself!
And most of all, everyday, for those that believe, you see His grace that you are saved.
BE GLAD for what you see!!!!!
Oh, and Ben tied Lilly to her lamp.

Henry came to rescue her. 

So thankful for the many opportunites I get to practice showing grace!

1 comment:

T said...

I'm celebrating jubilees, and you are "showing grace". We are both insane!

I wanted to say that I use a similar system in therapy all the time. When the kids I work with know what to expect, everything goes more smoothly. But many of the teachers are surprised to see their most challenging children doing so well in therapy. When I tell them what I do, they have clearly never thought of it before. So don't despair! You aren't the only one to take a while to get it right! It took me six years of school, a master's degree, and ten years of working to learn that trick. Ha!