Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Money, Money, Money

I Corinthians 10:31 So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God.

One of the great parent debates is over money for your children. Do you give them an allowance? Do you expect them to work for it? How much money do you give? Where do they put it?

Here is what we do in our family.
(And I have to dedicate this to my dad, who started me out with money jars just like these when I was a kid.)




















Allowance is 4 quarters a week. We know that money isn't going to get the kids far, but it is mainly given to teach them about what to do with what you get. One quarter goes in each jar.

Gifts
Savings ( NEVER to be touched )
Spending
Tithe

So since it would obviously take a long time to save that spending money for anything, we encourage them to do extra work. We expect them to vacuum, dust, take out the trash, etc because they are a part of the family.
However, jobs like vacuuming daddy's office, cleaning the basement after Henry drew on the walls, etc. would be jobs they could earn money at. They have earned a lot over the time (mostly because the Grandma's and Aunt Tammie over pay!)
























When the kids do earn extra money, they put 10% in TITHE and 10% in SAVINGS. Pete is already encouraging them to save for a car! (We do have a savings account at the bank where their birthday money goes to collect interest and when the jar gets full we will transfer it over).

So there is our money plan!
With our new budget for 2011 I am thinking Pete & I could use this money jar plan too! But I would need about 100 jars for all our categories!
(And if you are curious, we start this about age 5).

Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it. So... is the "if you are curious" part just for me since I am always asking you parenting questions??? :) If so, thanks! Saves me an extra email to you... ha ha! I actually think the jars make a nice decorating piece... you better watch out b/c PB might steal your idea!

Pamela said...

John and I were just talking about this very thing the other day! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Ok, is Michelle talking about me?!?! I guess you won't care if I steal your idea since you're putting it on your blog, right?!?

Unknown said...

I was talking about Pottery Barn!!! :) That's hilarious...

T said...

We do this too with slightly different details: family jobs (no pay) vs commission work (pay). We don't give allowance, and we use envelopes. It's so fun for the kids to take their "God" envelope to church. Right now Jack is saving for a computer. Slow going at an average of .50/week, but he's very excited about it, and whenever he does a commission job I hear him whispering "saving for a computer, saving for a computer...". My kids also get fines for neglecting a daily duty (like shoes and coats away, etc.) It's amazing how easily they learn the value of hard work and how they often choose to give God more than 10%. Keep up the good work, Amy!