Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Closet

 We just can't stop!  There is always a project!
Our next one is the upstairs hall closet.
This is a VERY scary photo of it 9 years ago when we bought the house.


And here it was on Friday morning.  Not a whole lot better!


This project was kind of exciting for me.  This is the LAST - LAST - LAST amount of wall paper in the entire house!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah!!  Every square inch was covered in layers and layers and layers (even ceilings). 

About a year after we moved in, I had this grand idea that for my birthday my family would come over and help us scrape the paper off the living room and dining room walls. 
I am lucky my family still speaks to me and is still willing to celebrate my birthday!


It was in a word a NIGHTMARE!!

Thankfully, this room/closet turned out to be the eaisest to date.  It was only 2 layers.  The house is close to 90 years old.  The walls were d-i-r-t-y. 
 

This is the side we were going to knock down.  We are going to wall in the area where the door is now and have the door going into the boys room.  So I didn't take the paper off here.  I had to remove the plaster and lathe. We couldn't just cut it because we didn't know what wires were running down the wall.
 This part was not fun.


And as awful as this still looks, it was beautiful to me!  Progress on a job!


The kids were at my parents all day and when they got home they thought the closet was so cool.

And then the older 2 boys were upstairs for quite awhile and when I went to check on them, they had turned the closet into a WW II jail cell.
Don't you just love the detail of the crust of bread and water?!
This is the wall were the door will be in the boys room.  (the holes are from the shelves and pictures I had hanging)

I took Lilly to the grocery store and when I got back Pete had cut out the wall.

When we redid our kitchen we actually found money hidden under one of the cabinets.  Sadly, this was all I found this time.  Just some strips of paper with names typed.  Still makes you wonder what it was for.  We are the 3rd owners of the home.  We bought it from the grandchildren of the man that built it.

We had the kids help us with some of the work.


Except for the Princess.  Somehow she always manages to get out of  the work!  I am going to have to learn her secret.  How she bats her eyes or something. . .

Tada! The giant hole in the wall!

Still so so much to be done. 

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Progress always feels like an accomplishment : ) The photo of Lily is making me laugh : ) Will the boys ever put her to work?

Joy said...

That was a huge accomplishment indeed....and for one day too! I cracked up at the picture of peter in the jail cell!!!! So funny! One too many trips to the air force museum : )! Did you happen to google that typed out name yet? Just curious?

Unknown said...

I thought the picture of Peter in the jail cell was kind of freaky. In fact,I had to make it bigger to see if it was really him...! We loved doing closet projects at Mirimar. Older homes come with small storage spaces. Good luck!!!