Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;

Friday, August 5, 2011

SUMMER SCHOOL

  One of the perks of homeschooling is that I do not have to keep to the schedule of the schools around us.  I live this perk up to the fullest!!!  We finished about May 15th and will not start again until late September. 
So we have a VERY long summer break!  At the start of this summer a friend of mine (Ember!) gave me the idea to make up folders with a little bit of work for each day.  This has been so great.  I felt like last year, the kids woke up and had no idea what to do with the day.  This gets them started off working instead of just laying on the couch!  It should really only take 45minutes.  Some days it takes hours. And if we miss a day, it doesn't matter.

I have a folder for each day of the week.  One side is Peter's and the other Ben's.
The assignments are: math worksheets, computer, flashcards, reading, summary, Latin

And speaking of school, I have been working on the basement.  This is where I would like to do most of our school this coming year.  I am trying to get it into a state where we can stand to be down there.

It has come a long way!  This is part of the basement after we moved in.  Actually, this is better than when we moved in.  The walls were originally a NASTY green.




See that crate back there?  The one with yellow paint behind the bikes?  It was left in the garage of the house next door. The guy that used to own it, had a stained glass window business and must of used this for paint.  It was covered in it.  I brought it over to our garage and we used it for outdoor toys. . .  for years.

I saw other possibilities with it and I brought it out.  I attached 2 boards inside it to make 3 seperate compartments.  Then I sanded.  I think I went through 3 packets of sandpaper.

I painted it black and now it is a bench in our basement!!!  It hold puzzles, blocks and books!

I added some wheels I already had. 


I made these pillows just for fun.  I had fabric and some pillows that I didn't like.  So I just recovered them.  Guess what the letters are for???

And the map I bought off Amazon.com ($0.82).  I glued it to a piece of plywood and framed it with some wood from our wood pile.

So here is that same corner from above now!

And this is how it usually looks!


The wood  I used to frame the map with came from my Grandpa.  It was wood flooring torn out of  an old building.  I used the side with the name of the company stamped on it.  I love how it looks!


It is good that we are not starting school until late September because I have a lot more to do!!!  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"e" "f" on the pillows...hummm???...Evilzisor and Frederick? :) And GREAT job on the bench and pillows,etc...looks so amazing!!!!

Joy said...

yeah, Ann's right...that's what I thought of too when I first read it. Are we right?

The Beckster's Blog said...

Wow...once again you amaze me!!!

Becky