Peter has been involved in something called First Lego League.
They have had practice every Thursday night since September.
Basically, teams are made up of about 7 - 10 kids. This year the overal theme was Food Factor. The kids did research about how to prepare, preserve, deliver and grow food in a safer way. They also have a "game board" where they build Lego attachements for a robot they program to do different missions.
Pretty much all this time, I had no idea what was going on! All I knew was that Peter loved getting dropped off on Thursday nights, and spending 2 hours without me!
This past Saturday they had the First Lego League competition.
Peter was able to be on a team with one of his best friends. Here they are getting ready to go and present a skit they worked on. One thing I like about this, is that the kids have to do all the work. The Coach is there each week just to guide them. The ages are 9 - 14. Peter and his friend were the youngest on the team and sometimes seemed a little lost, but I think it was a real learning experience for them.
This is Peter's team up at the game board. There is a time limit and you have to do as many "missions" as you can in that time.
Peter and his buddy!
This is the whole game board.
Look who came to cheer on his cousin!!
Here is a quick video so you can get a better idea of what is happening.
I think Peter's team came in dead last but he had a blast! It was a great learning experience for us all.
This brought up a lot of discussions in our home. Being part of a team, working hard, expressing your ideas with others in a firm, but humble way, not being happy with just sitting back and letting other work. Just when you think you are getting the hang of being a parent. . . you discover so much more you need to teach!! Anyway, I am glad Peter did it, and I look forward to next year.
1 comment:
Way to go, Peter! How fun for him :)
Post a Comment